I enjoy the writing of a new book much more than the marketing and all of the things that go with it. The process of writing is the good part. There is something wondorous about when other people read your book, have opinions about the characters and get involved in the world you create in a novel. However, there is a private time as you are writing when the characters and the world they live in are all yours. It is your private little world where you can retreat for months while you are in the creative process.
I wondered if only I felt that way, then I saw an interview with J.K.Rowling who said almost those exact words in describing her favorite part of writing. There is a time when it is your little world.
I was at a book sigining with another author one day and we were both saying how privately we liked our second books more than the first one we wrote. However, she said she was going to work to market the first book some more because she owes it to her characters. I feel the same way. I develop a personal relationship with my characters.
Now I am writing my third book “The Illusion of Certainty”. It will undoubtedly take all winter and into the spring. I find I don’t write chapters in the order they will appear in the final book.
In my last book “Expiation” I jumped back and forth in time between events in the 1960s and 70s and 1999. I found it easier to write the entire 1960s story and then write the 1999 story. Later I weaved them together.
In my new book I have written five chapters which will be at the beginning and I have written the last two. Now I feel I am into the story and the characters and can start putting meat on the bones of my plot.
The exciting part of the process however, is there will be twists and turns in the story that I don’t even know myself yet. It will reveal itself as I immerse myself in the writing process.
That’s the fun part.
- 10,137 hits
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- July 2010
Tags1957 San Francisco 1958 San Francisco 1960's 1970's authors Baby Boomers baseball game Book Fair Books Deadly Plunge Edmonds Expiation fiction foggy san francisco Greg Messel high school sweethearts history Illusion of Certainty interview London love minor league baseball Mystery novels Paris Patty Hearst Portland private detective agency Private Detectives Relationships San Francisco San Francisco Seals San Francisco Secrets Seattle Stewardesses Sunbreaks The Last of the Seals Trafford TWA Stewardesses Uncertainty Write on the Sound writers writing
- BLOG TOUR – San Francisco Nights – The Pulp and Mystery Shelf with Shannon Muir mysteryshelf.com/blog-tour-san-… via @mysteryshelf 3 hours ago
- "If you like figuring out mysteries with dark hidden secrets" get "San Francisco Nights" amazon.com/dp/1532301480/… via @amazon 3 hours ago
- Trump invokes John Kelly's late son in continuing to swipe at Obama huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-ke… via @HuffPostPol 5 hours ago
- TheScaramucci Post just tweeted the most outrageous poll about the Holocaust huffingtonpost.com/entry/scaramuc… via @HuffPostPol 5 hours ago
- Trump calls sexual harassment claims 'fake news' and 'disgraceful' sfgate.com/news/article/T… via @SFGate 5 hours ago
- RT @gregmessel: Officials Couldn’t Believe How Botched Jared Kushner’s Clearance Forms Were huffingtonpost.com/entry/jared-ku… 21 hours ago
- RT @ananavarro: I want to be Gregg Popovich when I grow up. thenation.com/article/a-soul… 21 hours ago
- RT @ananavarro: Simple. President of the United States should not: 1. Lie knowingly & repeatedly; 2. Lie about former POTUSes; 3. Lie abo… 21 hours ago
- RT @allinwithchris: There's enough evidence against Donald Trump for Congress to start "moving on impeachment," says @RepMaxineWaters https… 21 hours ago
- RT @allinwithchris: Donald Trump doesn't seem to "understand" what quotation marks are "for." on.msnbc.com/2gI5Wgt #inners #thing1thing2 21 hours ago